Monday, May 2, 2011

Avoiding Responsibility

Norman Geisler wrote a book about the popular free will versus sovereignty debate called Chosen but Free. I would like to start off my post by stating my position. I would call myself, based on this book, a moderate Calvinist. I believe in a balanced view of God’s sovereignty and man’s free will. The Bible talks about both; so there is no denying that both have its place in Theology.  I lean more toward a moderate Calvinist more than a moderate Armenian because I tend to believe once saved, always saved. I have to be careful, here, to admit that I am still “working out my salvation” in regards to this point. I have heard more that once saved, always saved so I tend toward that view. I realize that I need to work this out myself and not rely just on what others interpretations of the Scriptures are.
            When I was reading the beginning chapters I felt my stomach turn when the author was mentioning both extreme views. I value his non-judgmental approach, bringing balance to a controversial subject. I want to focus on chapter four and briefly state my opinion. Geisler’s premise was this: if God knows everything we are going to do and our free will cannot change that, then the future cannot be changed. Therefore, the conclusion is, we are not responsible for any of our actions whether good or bad. This is an extreme view of God’s sovereignty and does not take into account man’s free will. Given this premise, the human race is completely “off the hook.” It negates that all of mankind knows we are responsible for our own actions. When a bad deed goes unpunished, we are quick to seek justice. Why? Because we believe that person should be held responsible for his/her actions. Geisler points this out and I agree with his positions that all humans are responsible for their own sinful condition.
            Another interesting concept is that Christians sometimes say “God allowed this [bad thing] to happen.” They say God did not cause the evil, but just allowed it to happen. An extreme Calvinist could never hold to this viewpoint. God could have given the person who caused the bad thing the desire to always do good therefore avoiding the sin. Because He did not do this and He controls all things God has to be held responsible for the sinful act. The Bible clearly states in James 1:13-14 that God is not the author of sin but mankind is.
            Frequently, the devil is blamed as the person behind the sin. Who made Lucifer sin? By using the same argument above, God would have to ultimately be blamed. God cannot be against God; that is a contradiction. Therefore, Lucifer had to sin on his own free will showing that we too have a free will.
            The bible, from start to finish, from before the Fall and after the Fall have free will. You cannot deny this fact. The truth then is this: “God nor the devil made me do it, I did.” Mankind has always tried to explain away his/her sense of responsibility, but our actions are, in fact, ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment