Tuesday, June 19, 2012

First Kiss


Let me take you back to an important memory of mine. This story took place about six years ago at a place called Myrtle Beach.
            A week long vacation with my girlfriend’s family at the beach is coming to an end. It is a very cold Friday evening complete with gushes of coastal wind whistling through the freshly painted rails of the balcony. Stefani and I, unaware of what each other were thinking, were both reflecting over the past week and how much we had enjoyed each other’s company.
“Hey Stef! Remember when you yelled ‘Brent, wave!’ and I said ‘To who?’ right when the wave crashed over my head?”
“Yeah! That was so funny. You’re such an idiot!” Stefani replied.
            The conversation continued back and forth for some time. While that conversation was happening, I had another conversation going on inside of my head, which could have been the reason for my lack of talking during the whole discussion.
            “Brent, go for it. It is the perfect time! You will not get another chance like this!” But then, “Are you crazy? What if she doesn’t want to?”
            As you might have guessed, I was contemplating on whether or not I should try to experience my first kiss. So many thoughts were buzzing through my head and what was only about twenty minutes, seemed like a lifetime. The air was cold and thin as the wind blew briskly across our skin. The moonlight subtly lit the balcony with a romantic glow while the sound of the ocean made for a relaxing environment. Blankets were wrapped tight around both of us as we sat side by side in plastic white chairs almost whispering our conversation.
Suddenly, my girlfriend’s mom cracks the door open and tells us to be inside in ten minutes because it was getting dark. My heart almost leaped out of my mouth because I knew my time was running short. The palms of my hands began to feel very cold due to the excess of moisture on them. My heart was pounding with unbelievable force making me think it could very well make me fall out of my chair. My blood pressure rose and my mind raced as I was wondering if this would turn out how I had previously imagined. I had to initiate something or a perfect chance for my first kiss would be forever lost. I took a deep breath as I let out these words:
“Stef, can I ask you something?”
“Sure.”, Stefani responded. That was a short response, I thought. Does she know what is coming? Am I too obvious? Calm down Brent. Speak, just speak!
“I’m not sure how to ask this but I’ve been thinking about something all week (which I had) and I was wondering if I could…kiss you?”
At that moment Stefani’s shoulders began to ease up around her neck and her nose crinkled as it always does when something wonderful is about to happen. She very bashfully shook her head up and down, but her eyes told a different story though. They said, “It’s about time!”
My whole body breathed a sigh of relief with her response. She had said yes. But as quickly as my body relaxed, it became tense again staring at the empty space between our lips I was about to remove. I leaned in cautiously, but anxiously, toward her and in the perfect atmosphere, our lips touched.
A feeling so incredible rushed over my body! It is a feeling that can only be understood by someone who has experienced it. A tingle went from my lips and traveled all the way to my toes.  My head spun with exhilaration while my heart still pumped with unbelievable force.
I never knew a single moment could be so wonderful. I knew then that my desire to be loved was not an impossibility. I realized for the first time how wonderful the gift of love is from our Creator. Our love for each other on earth mimics the love that Jesus Christ has for us, but with one exception. His love is flawless and unconditional. How great is the Father’s love for us!
My first kiss -how wonderful! It was comforting, special, and unique. I could not have asked for a better time, place, and setting. Stefani and I are still dating to this day. It has been six years and three months.

No comments:

Post a Comment